What's new
Streak Gaming Online Gambling Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INDIAN TRIBES SET UP THEIR OWN INTERNET GAMBLING?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

vixen777

Owner
Staff member
For a long time, American supporters of Internet gambling predicted rapid legalization and adoption by state governments. One or two key states would legalize Internet gambling, said the prophets, and that would start the avalanche. State governments would stampede toward the new revenue opportunity.

But the rosy forecasts have not come to pass (I should know; I made a couple myself).

So far, only New Jersey, Delaware, and Nevada have passed legislation to actually license legalized Internet gambling. One or two others, like California and Pennsylvania, may or may not eventually come in. But most of the other states haven’t even seriously considered it.

There are a number of reasons. Gambling is controversial, even yet, so politicians tend to shy away from dealing with it. And Internet gambling did not become the revenue windfall that its proponents promised. In New Jersey, for instance, Governor Christie estimated that I gaming would reap $180 million for the Garden State the first year alone. The actual haul was about a tenth of that. Results in Delaware and Nevada were equally unpromising. And getting more revenue was no longer the desperate priority it had been. An economic uptick improved the fortunes of many states without additional gambling. It might be nice one day, in other words, but it wasn’t strictly necessary.

Now a new wrinkle has been added. As the state legislative efforts toward legalization and licensing stall out, or never get off the ground, the Indian gambling tribes are beginning to take a serious look at operating online as well- not just under a state licensing regime, but on their own independent authority. Under US law as it now stands, could they do that? Which tribes would be most likely to try? And what would be the outcome if they succeeded?

SOURCE AND FULL STORY HERE

This is a guest contribution by Martin Owens is an attorney specializing in gaming law. Owens is the co-writer, along with Prof. I Nelson, of the seminal book Gambling and the Law. If you would like to submit a contribution please contact Bill Beatty for submission details. Thank you.

dani3839

Administrator
Staff member
it's going to be interesting to see what becomes of this and if it helps with statewide online gaming

Thanks Vixen

:thank you